Front Hall

Welcome to the Front Parlor of the Belmont Mansion! During Adelicia’s residence, a staple of the parlor was a painting done in 1853 by renowned artist, Gueshwhite, of Adelicia and her young daughter, Emma. When the mansion transitioned into a school in the late 1880s, the portrait sadly went missing and has yet to be recovered. Today, a grand mirror hangs in the place of the painting. Direct your attention to the orientate wallpaper; Adelicia spared no expense nor detail. While the original wallpaper is not intact, the walls are presently covered in a reproduction of the initial design.

Another theme throughout the home is the incorporation of statues. In the front parlor lies William Rinehart’s “The Sleeping Children,” which has not moved since Adelicia’s day in the mansion. You will also notice the gasoliers (gas chandeliers) and bohemian glass shades that adorned the original room. Today, replicas of these luxuries exist sparingly in the front parlor. Overall, the front parlor acts as an excellent opener for the rest of the mansion’s beauty and history.

This statue is situated in the entrance hall of the Belmont Mansion. The work is titled “Ruth Gleaning” and was crafted in 1866 by Randolf Rogers, a leading American sculptor at the time. It was purchased when Adelicia Acklen went on a grand tour of Europe in the 1860s. This piece is one of the most prized pieces in the mansion, as it is the only piece of art that has stayed in the house since it was originally acquired by the Acklens. Today it sits only three inches from the spot it was originally installed in. A clock given to the Acklens by Mrs. James K. Polk can be seen directly behind the statue. The entrance hall mantle that the clock sits on is not the original mantle, as the original was replaced by another mantle from the original dining room. “Ruth Gleaning” remains an iconic component of the entrance hall in the Belmont Mansion today.

css.php