The majestic stairs leading to the second floor of Belmont Mansion are English quarter sawn oak wood and have not changed since the founding. These stairs complement the design of the Grand Salon, being made in French rococo style with touches of Greek revival. Artisans in England are currently reproducing the original carpet runner. The grand gasolier remains in front of the staircase; however, the fixture has since been electrified.
Grand Salon Room View
Two women from Philadelphia purchased the Belmont Mansion and opened a girls’ school in 1890. This picture of the Grand Salon was taken the year of the founding of Belmont College, as evidenced by the banner hanging from the ceiling. The room embodied a variety of styles, being mainly colonial revival with touches of French rococo and Greek revival. The Grand Salon previously featured a door, which led to the billiard room behind it. This door has since been removed. During the college era, the Grand Salon’s ceiling was painted white; however, currently, work is in progress to restore the ceiling to its original cloud design from the mansion era.
The magnificent sculpture, named Ruth Gleaning, is the only work of art that has never left the Belmont mansion. This classical sculpture has spent most of its life in the Front Parlor, greeting guests as they enter the hallowed halls. The statue was moved to the bay window of the Grand Salon sometime between 1898 and 1900, presumably to get her out of the way of the entrance during the school period. She would not be placed back at the entrance until 1990, as the Mansion was beginning to be restored back to its original grandeur.