Aidan McKernan is a student in Digital Humanities at Belmont University.
Scene VR is an easy-to-use online program that allows users to create their own VR scenes using panoramas or 360 degree photographs, all online. It also encourages users to tell stories about what their VR scene might be about; for example, one of the scenes on the homepage is a 360 degree photo of wreckage after Hurricane Katrina. The project is hosted by Knight Lab. It can be found by typing ‘Scene VR’ into an online search engine.
On the homepage of the site, users are greeted with examples of scenes that other users have made using the tool, along with an inviting green button that says, “Make a Scene”. Everything needed to create one’s own scene is all on the same page, with all of the links in the top right leading to other projects hosted by Knight Lab. The homepage also has a brief description of the tool, frequently asked questions, a privacy disclosure, and a link to GitHub for those who want the technical documentation of the tool.
The tool is incredibly straightforward and easy to use. All one has to do in order to create their own VR Scene is upload a panoramic picture and title it. Then anyone is able to explore the scene in their own desktop. Because the project is entirely hosted online, it allows users to view scenes on multiple devices, including desktops, laptops, and mobile phones. VR Scenes can also be viewed on popular VR headsets.
How to Use:
- Find Scene VR through your search engine of choice (Chrome and Firefox browsers work best), or use this hyperlink: https://scene.knightlab.com
- Click the “Make a Scene” button on the homepage.
- Click the “New Project” button at the bottom of the page.
- Title and describe the project by entering information into the fields at the top of the page. Then, click the “Add Photo” button at the bottom of the page. Browse your computer files for the photo you want to upload.
- Click the share button in the top right corner.
- Use the “Preview” button to preview your work or use the social media links to upload your scene.You can also embed the provided link onto a website.